i've never thought to write a blog on a plane.
actually, i don't really know how long they've even made WiFi available on airplanes.
but here's my 1st one.
(& i would guess the 1st of many.)
Crystal & i are flying to New York WITH Keira. She's done awesome so far (knock on wood).
speaking of writing in the air... i remember writing for a long time in my journal in the airport on my 1st trip to Africa.
i was about 19 and had been in London for a few days hanging out with a friend. he had just dropped me at the HUGE London airport and i was flying to Jo-burg, South Africa where a guy i had met once was going to pick me up and take me to Botswana where i would spend the next few months.
i can remember sitting in that huge airport in London waiting to go to Africa "all by myself" for a really long time.
i can remember sitting there and watching all the people go by & not knowing anyone.
i remember sitting there thinking about going to spend the the next few months of my life really far away from home with no one that i knew.
airports can be lonely places.
that moment for me seemed like it would be a lonely moment.
but i didn't feel lonely. i didn't feel alone.
i wasn't alone.
there was a Presence with me.
real and almost tangible.
i can still remember it. i wrote to God in my journal for hours sitting there in London waiting for my flight.
i can still remember the song playing on my "discman" (remember those?) - Shane & Shane's Be Near.
i remember thinking that if i didn't feel alone in a moment like that... in fact, since i felt the opposite of alone (completely KNOWN and in the presence of Someone who knew me well)... then i probably shouldn't need to feel alone anywhere ever.
i need to go back and find that particular journal in my stack of journals. i need to find that entry. maybe i'll post some of it.
anyway, ever since that day, airports have been kind of like a spiritual place for me.
in the middle of all the hustle & bustle... the rushing, stressed out people... all the frustrated people...
it's still a peaceful place for me.
for some reason (because of that day in the London airport) i have a heightened sense of the Presence of God in airports. & it causes me to slow down and be aware of it.
it's almost like an airport is a thin place for me.
anyway, just a thought for my 1st blog post from 30,000 feet.
- ► 2013 (118)
- a friend of a friend
- Obamacare Ruling Has Just Woken a Sleeping Giant
- it just enables
- Reactions to the SCOTUS Obamacare Decision
- Balancing Faith and the Constitution
- how well can you do this?
- Reactions to the AZ Immigration Law Ruling
- only 49% save for retirement
- It's Always the Cover-Up, Not the Actual Crime, Mr...
- my 1st blog from 30,000 feet
- WaPo is Telegraphing Obama's Potential Defeat
- my wife is the awesomest!
- Bloomberg Poll that Boosts Obama Goes Against All ...
- thirsty? (repost)
- Letter Bag: Voter ID Realities, Part II
- Once Mitt Connects, Obama is Done
- Real Facts on Voter ID Laws
- my favorite thoughts about RENOWN
- Rumors of the Tea Party's Death Are Greatly Exagge...
- Why Are Food Stamps Advertising?
- Stop Bringing Up Bush to Argue Against Conservatis...
- this is my 1,000th blog post
- No Mr. President, the Private Sector IS NOT fine.....
- what is love?
- Bain Capital Attacks Show How Little the Left Unde...
- "you taught me..."
- "i beg you with my whole heart"
- thougths from somebody way smarter than me
- conversation with the postman
- Letter Bag: The Post Office
- money money money
- Reactions to the Wisconsin Recall Election
- pointing out the good
- Obama Claims Fiscal Restraint, Backs it with Fuzzy...
- what is money for anyway?
- What Does Today's WI Recall Election Mean?
- belong - behave - believe
- Romney Running Mate Talk: The Good, the Bad, and t...
- the ouiji board chased me!
- earthquakes and tsunamis
- Romney Running MateTalk (Part 3)
- ▼ June (43)
- ► 2011 (316)
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on September 1, 2009. Last night we kicked off 30 days of fasting at Ridge Church. Begging God...
(This was originally written & posted to renown on June 1, 2010.) I was driving home from my soccer game last night and near my neighbo...
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on June 30, 2010.) These 2 people live in Bulgeta, Ethiopia. i don't know their names. T...
Today was going to be the day I announced a hiatus from blogging to give more time to preparing for my upcoming wedding...then my good frien...
that's a pretty creative & original title for this post, don't you think? it's crazy, but 1,000 times i have written some th...