'tis the season again. So, this is just your friendly reminder to please not write me a letter about writing "xmas" because you think i worship the devil and am in some kind of conspiracy to overthrow the world... just read this 1st.
(This was originally posted on November 24th, 2009 HERE.)
OK, I thought it might be easier to just say this once and get it out of the way.
It is a lot easier and faster for me to write "xmas" than "Christmas". There, I said it and it's out of the way now.
So, when I am typing something quickly = a blog post, an email, a text, etc... I'm probably going to write "xmas" instead of "Christmas". (So don't be offended when you get an email or text from me with "xmas" in it.)
Lest you think I am some heartless atheist (or a devil worshipper) - it has NOTHING to do with "taking Christ out of Christmas" as lots of people say. It's not some "liberal" agenda to hijack this "Christian nation". It is simply 5 less letters to type. It's easier. That's all. I don't hate Jesus. In fact I love Jesus and am radically following Him as best as I know how.
In case you're curious "X" is actually the abbreviation for "Christ". Therefore xmas instead of Christmas. It's not "taking Christ out of Christmas", it's simply abbreviating.
* "X" is the 1st Greek letter in "Christ" (Xristou). That's why "X" is the abbreviation for Christ.
And that's why I hope you can understand that I'm not a devil worshiper just because I write "xmas".
And actually I think it's interesting in light of this topic that the ancient Hebrew scribes used to write YHWH to abbreviate God's Name because they wanted to revere His holy name and didn't think themselves worthy to even write all the letters - Yahweh... (we think).
[i wonder what they would think of us... actually writing the WHOLE name out. Would they think us irreverant or blasphemous? or even part of a conspiracy to overthrow the world?]
So, again, just to clarify = I'm going to write "xmas" instead of "Christmas", but not because I hate God, just because it's faster.
- ► 2013 (118)
- Right to Work Doesn't Infringe on "Workers Rights"...
- book learnings from 2012 (part 3)
- book learnings from 2012 (part 2)
- book learnings from 2012 (part 1)
- takeaways from the books i read this year
- Best of Biblical Conservatism - Reality Check: Lib...
- Best of Biblical Conservatism: It’s Merry Christma...
- Biblical Conservatism Week in Review - 12/17/12
- Newtown Shooting SHOULD NOT Be a Political Footbal...
- colors wrapping around half the sky
- Guest Post: Why Are You Defending the Rich?
- Biblical Conservatism Week in Review (Week of 12/1...
- Barack Obama and the Kindergarten Compromise
- let me go ahead and get this out of the way... aga...
- it took me a while
- Clinton Era Taxes? How About Clinton Era Spending?...
- Biblical Conservatism Week in Review (Week of 12/3...
- What Does the Fiscal Cliff Show Us About the Democ...
- recommendations for my 2013 read list?
- Ridge December 9th sneak peek
- Obama Fiscal Cliff Plan: Ignore the Real Problem
- the last few things to know before you hit 30
- i may be old...
- ▼ December (23)
- ► 2011 (316)
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on September 1, 2009. Last night we kicked off 30 days of fasting at Ridge Church. Begging God...
(This was originally written & posted to renown on June 1, 2010.) I was driving home from my soccer game last night and near my neighbo...
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on June 30, 2010.) These 2 people live in Bulgeta, Ethiopia. i don't know their names. T...
Today was going to be the day I announced a hiatus from blogging to give more time to preparing for my upcoming wedding...then my good frien...
that's a pretty creative & original title for this post, don't you think? it's crazy, but 1,000 times i have written some th...