i've read just over 50 books so far in 2012. i've got a few more to go before the end of the year next week. we'll see how many i end up with.
it's become a custom for me to write here on renown at the end of the year about what i'm learning from the books i read.
i'll write a fairly short snippet about each book - maybe a brief summary of my takeaways and what the overall concept is of the book. + i like to rank the books with a STAR * system. i'll rank each book between 1-5 *s just to let you know what i thought of it.
explaining the star system:
obviously 5*s is the best and 1* is the worst but here's a little better pic of what each level means:
5*s - one of the top books i've ever read. period. not just top book of 2012, but top book ever. past books in the 5 star category for me may be ones like Visioneering, Made to Stick, Let the Nations Be Glad, The Tipping Point, etc...
4*s - a really, really, REALLY good book. even a great book. just not one of the greatest of all time. but really good. if it gets 4*s you should probably read it!
3*s - it's a pretty decent, even good book. i learned a good deal. it was helpful. but there's probably MANY books you should read before reading this one.
2*s - don't waste your time at all with 2* books. i learned something from it, but surprised i even finished it.
1* - absolute waste of time. an awful book. (hopefully there won't be any of these that i wasted my precious time reading)
i won't try to post my thoughts on all 50something books in 1 post. i'll split them up into several different posts.
and then at the end of all those i'll give my top 10 books of 2012.
(here are the links for my top 10 reads for 2011, 2010, 2009)
& just bkuz it's interesting to me to look back on, my #1 reads from the past 3 years are:
2009 = Good to Great, Jim Collins
2010 = Made to Stick, Chip & Dan Heath
2011 = Humility, Andrew Murray
so, look for my post tomorrow to begin my brief downloads of the 50something books i read this year.
- ► 2013 (118)
- Right to Work Doesn't Infringe on "Workers Rights"...
- book learnings from 2012 (part 3)
- book learnings from 2012 (part 2)
- book learnings from 2012 (part 1)
- takeaways from the books i read this year
- Best of Biblical Conservatism - Reality Check: Lib...
- Best of Biblical Conservatism: It’s Merry Christma...
- Biblical Conservatism Week in Review - 12/17/12
- Newtown Shooting SHOULD NOT Be a Political Footbal...
- colors wrapping around half the sky
- Guest Post: Why Are You Defending the Rich?
- Biblical Conservatism Week in Review (Week of 12/1...
- Barack Obama and the Kindergarten Compromise
- let me go ahead and get this out of the way... aga...
- it took me a while
- Clinton Era Taxes? How About Clinton Era Spending?...
- Biblical Conservatism Week in Review (Week of 12/3...
- What Does the Fiscal Cliff Show Us About the Democ...
- recommendations for my 2013 read list?
- Ridge December 9th sneak peek
- Obama Fiscal Cliff Plan: Ignore the Real Problem
- the last few things to know before you hit 30
- i may be old...
- ▼ December (23)
- ► 2011 (316)
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on September 1, 2009. Last night we kicked off 30 days of fasting at Ridge Church. Begging God...
(This was originally written & posted to renown on June 1, 2010.) I was driving home from my soccer game last night and near my neighbo...
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on June 30, 2010.) These 2 people live in Bulgeta, Ethiopia. i don't know their names. T...
Today was going to be the day I announced a hiatus from blogging to give more time to preparing for my upcoming wedding...then my good frien...
that's a pretty creative & original title for this post, don't you think? it's crazy, but 1,000 times i have written some th...