this is part 6 & the final installment of 29 Things to Know Before You Hit 30 (from the awesome book by Jason Boyett - The Pocket Guide to Adulthood). enjoy.
24 Paw-Paw and the Value of Stories
"To know Paw-Paw is to know his story" and i think to know anyone is to know their stories. i love the reminder of the value of story in this chapter for the sake of turning "adult." guide to adulthood = value the story.
25 Simple Home Maintenance When Dad's Unavailable
i definitely need this one. my wife is they handyman of our home. i have no idea how to do anything. you could show me over & over, it just doesn't make sense in my head.
at least this chapter told me all the home maintenance i should be doing...
26 Don't Go to Pieces: Taking Care of Your Own Bad Self
i guess it's around this age that people have to actually start taking care of themselves. it seems like up until this point "taking care of yourself" pretty much took care of itself. :)
but not anymore.
i actually did cut out coffee cold turkey in my old age. as Jason puts it, "Coffee is to sleep what live monkeys are to a liturgical church service."
& at this age, people gotta manage your time even more wisely. like management experts say to only plan for HALF of your time! wow. i guess that's the way it goes when you're old (or always really).
27 Ask for a Raise Without Coming Across As a Jerk
some fun what TO do and what NOT to do advice. & it's good to remember that being GRATEFUL for your job & still asking for a raise are NOT mutually exclusive. they can & should walk hand in hand.
28 How to Take a Photograph Like a Professional
good tips for better pictures. goes hand in hand with #24 & the stories.
29 Really Handy Index of Brief, Practical Suggestions
just like it sounds, full of advice like = how to hide nicks & scratches, keep cut flowers fresh, increase your car's gas mileage, how to remember a person's name, etc...
all stuff that we should probably know entering adulthood. :)
i hope i have been thoroughly prepared now.
- ► 2013 (118)
- Right to Work Doesn't Infringe on "Workers Rights"...
- book learnings from 2012 (part 3)
- book learnings from 2012 (part 2)
- book learnings from 2012 (part 1)
- takeaways from the books i read this year
- Best of Biblical Conservatism - Reality Check: Lib...
- Best of Biblical Conservatism: It’s Merry Christma...
- Biblical Conservatism Week in Review - 12/17/12
- Newtown Shooting SHOULD NOT Be a Political Footbal...
- colors wrapping around half the sky
- Guest Post: Why Are You Defending the Rich?
- Biblical Conservatism Week in Review (Week of 12/1...
- Barack Obama and the Kindergarten Compromise
- let me go ahead and get this out of the way... aga...
- it took me a while
- Clinton Era Taxes? How About Clinton Era Spending?...
- Biblical Conservatism Week in Review (Week of 12/3...
- What Does the Fiscal Cliff Show Us About the Democ...
- recommendations for my 2013 read list?
- Ridge December 9th sneak peek
- Obama Fiscal Cliff Plan: Ignore the Real Problem
- the last few things to know before you hit 30
- i may be old...
- ▼ December (23)
- ► 2011 (316)
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on September 1, 2009. Last night we kicked off 30 days of fasting at Ridge Church. Begging God...
(This was originally written & posted to renown on June 1, 2010.) I was driving home from my soccer game last night and near my neighbo...
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on June 30, 2010.) These 2 people live in Bulgeta, Ethiopia. i don't know their names. T...
Today was going to be the day I announced a hiatus from blogging to give more time to preparing for my upcoming wedding...then my good frien...
that's a pretty creative & original title for this post, don't you think? it's crazy, but 1,000 times i have written some th...