i started this conversation in yesterday's post which you can read HERE.
and i kind of hinted then that i think work is WAY UNDER FOCUSED on in our culture. let me explain (because in some ways it's OVER focused on in that many people find their identity and worth in what they "do for a living." i mean something very different.)
work is under focused on in the sense that people don't talk a lot about finding a job you love/doing work you LOVE and that satisfies. in relation to how much time in our lives we actually spend at work, it is under focused on.
it seems to me that people think like this:
life is all about having fun & enjoying it.
in order to do that i need to make some money.
so i need a job to make a lot of money.
so that i can enjoy life.
BUT the 2 don't mix. it's like 2 separate worlds for most people. i.e. most people seem to RESIGN themselves to the idea that 40-50 hours of their week is going to SUCK. it's gonna be boring and awful and they're simply ENDURING that job in order to enjoy life the other 72 waking hours of the weeks of our lives.
that seems like a HORRIBLE deal to me.
half of our lives almost spent at a job we hate?
OR at a job that is just paying the bills. at a job we don't LOVE.
no way. life is TOO SHORT for that garbage.
he says the 3 signs of a miserable job are:
and so i think we can flip his little triangle and the OPPOSITES make for a satisfying and fulfilling job. because i believe people deserve to love their jobs. and it seems that these 3 things are what it takes to make that happen.
1 Relevance - if what you do feels RELEVANT... like it actually matters. if it's making a difference then we obviously like that. we'll keep pushing hard at a job that is relevant and making a difference. if you don't know that you're making a difference at your job then your job probably sucks.
2 Measurable - if i can't measure for myself when i'm doing a good job i'll get really frustrated. if no one tells me what measures i'm aiming for and whether or not i'm measuring up then i'll be really frustrated. someone just needs to "clarify the win" and that solves a LOT of job misery issues.
3 Community/Known - all people have a need to be known. in all areas of life. you can't do 40 hours a week at a job without community. lots of peoples' bosses don't even know who they are or anything about them. or the relationship is all work & a dichotomy that doesn't touch the rest of life.
this is getting long again so i'll finish it all out in tomorrow's post with the crux of all this. a real example and calling out some leaders who probably shouldn't be leaders because they are creating miserable jobs for people instead of fulfilling ones!
- Liberal Rhetoric in Action: Appeal to Ridicule
- Best of Biblical Conservatism - Dissecting the Lib...
- do you hate your job? what about the people who wo...
- Liberal Rhetoric 101: Appeal to Ridicule
- up in the air - to kenya (repost)
- unexpected christmas store
- "our direction is more important than our pace"
- do you hate your job? (part 2)
- Mr. President, "The right of the people to keep an...
- do you hate your job?
- we'll never have all the answers
- Best of Biblical Conservatism Failing Dr. King: Ho...
- it doesn't hurt to ask
- NOT OK (africa)
- Kenya revisited
- Why I'm not as dumb as I should be
- questions aren't a problem
- Current Gun Control Laws Didn't Stop Newtown Shoot...
- i need words
- happy birthday, Dr. King
- Crystal quotes of the day #6 (Pregnancy Edition)
- Liberal Rhetoric 101: Fallacy of the Single Cause
- top 10 books i read in 2012
- final book learnings from 2012 (part 5)
- which is it?
- thinking Romans out loud on renown
- and it's all free
- Fiscal Cliff Deal Proves Two Big Points for Right
- nature: our chance to SEE the invisible God
- beauty is a pretty big deal
- If We Treated Other Education Like Abstinence Educ...
- our journey with the plan (part 2)
- our journey with the plan (part 1)
- an anniversary of sorts
- text message that made me think
- The Fiscal Cliff Deal is a Joke
- book learnings from 2012 (part 4)
- my fav new songs at Passion 2013
- best new song of 2013
- a successful life
- ▼ January (40)
- ► 2012 (464)
- ► 2011 (316)
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on September 1, 2009. Last night we kicked off 30 days of fasting at Ridge Church. Begging God...
(This was originally written & posted to renown on June 1, 2010.) I was driving home from my soccer game last night and near my neighbo...
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on June 30, 2010.) These 2 people live in Bulgeta, Ethiopia. i don't know their names. T...
Today was going to be the day I announced a hiatus from blogging to give more time to preparing for my upcoming wedding...then my good frien...
that's a pretty creative & original title for this post, don't you think? it's crazy, but 1,000 times i have written some th...