at Ridge Church we chose to partner with a Title 1 school in our "neighborhood." our goal is to make a profound difference and to be a blessing to the teachers, staff, children, and families of the school.
we've been blessed like crazy, so we want to take those blessings and be a blessing to the people at Piney Grove Elementary School. 81% of the children live below poverty level.
one of the coolest/funnest things we do is this "unexpected Christmas store" where we specifically heap the blessings onto about 10 or so of the families at Piney Grove. crazy awesome.
maybe at some point i'll share a personal story of the family Crystal and i were able to bless and hang out with that day.
for now i'll leave you with some thoughts from my friend Spanky's blog. he's the organizer of the whole "store" anyway and after his words is a pretty cool video that i think will be worth your time!
One of the highlights for us throughout the year is an event we do for multiple needy families at Piney Grove Elementary called the Christmas Store. It is our version of blessing families with the necessities and wants during the Christmas holiday with the purpose of bringing hope into their hearts and homes. This year we were able to help some struggling families and single moms in bigger ways than we would have even planned: power bills were taken care of, a single mom's gas was turned back on so so her 4 children could take showers and have heat, cars that were not running are now working well, and eviction notices have been stopped. A pinnacle for me was when I recieved a call from a struggling single mom that attended our Christmas store. She shared how she wants to teach her children more about Jesus and what we believe because they have never known church people that cared so much like we did. She said that her children are asking questions about us and Ridge Church because, "there is something special about those people that helped us out. Why would they do this for us when we don't even go to their church?"
For Lara and I we found ourselves most proud when we heard a mom talk about how amazing all of this is and that this is just what people at Piney Grove have come to expect from us and Ridge Church. All of the time, energy, effort, planning, prayer, and sacrifice we have put into this project is starting to show some lasting fruit, and it is good fruit! Take moment to watch for yourselves what a few families said in their own words. Christmas Store 2012
Unexpected Christmas Store from Ridge Church on Vimeo.
- Liberal Rhetoric in Action: Appeal to Ridicule
- Best of Biblical Conservatism - Dissecting the Lib...
- do you hate your job? what about the people who wo...
- Liberal Rhetoric 101: Appeal to Ridicule
- up in the air - to kenya (repost)
- unexpected christmas store
- "our direction is more important than our pace"
- do you hate your job? (part 2)
- Mr. President, "The right of the people to keep an...
- do you hate your job?
- we'll never have all the answers
- Best of Biblical Conservatism Failing Dr. King: Ho...
- it doesn't hurt to ask
- NOT OK (africa)
- Kenya revisited
- Why I'm not as dumb as I should be
- questions aren't a problem
- Current Gun Control Laws Didn't Stop Newtown Shoot...
- i need words
- happy birthday, Dr. King
- Crystal quotes of the day #6 (Pregnancy Edition)
- Liberal Rhetoric 101: Fallacy of the Single Cause
- top 10 books i read in 2012
- final book learnings from 2012 (part 5)
- which is it?
- thinking Romans out loud on renown
- and it's all free
- Fiscal Cliff Deal Proves Two Big Points for Right
- nature: our chance to SEE the invisible God
- beauty is a pretty big deal
- If We Treated Other Education Like Abstinence Educ...
- our journey with the plan (part 2)
- our journey with the plan (part 1)
- an anniversary of sorts
- text message that made me think
- The Fiscal Cliff Deal is a Joke
- book learnings from 2012 (part 4)
- my fav new songs at Passion 2013
- best new song of 2013
- a successful life
- ▼ January (40)
- ► 2012 (464)
- ► 2011 (316)
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on September 1, 2009. Last night we kicked off 30 days of fasting at Ridge Church. Begging God...
(This was originally written & posted to renown on June 1, 2010.) I was driving home from my soccer game last night and near my neighbo...
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on June 30, 2010.) These 2 people live in Bulgeta, Ethiopia. i don't know their names. T...
Today was going to be the day I announced a hiatus from blogging to give more time to preparing for my upcoming wedding...then my good frien...
that's a pretty creative & original title for this post, don't you think? it's crazy, but 1,000 times i have written some th...