shocking stats

(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on February 18, 2010.)

my Pastor is awesome. He's not only my pastor, but he's also my boss... & my mentor. I'm honored to stand behind him and serve with him & I've learned so much from him these past few years.
He is a great man. He loves God + is a brilliant and corageous leader.

But I still pray for him constantly. I pray that God puts His hand on him and makes him an even greater and godlier leader. I pray that God protects him from Satan's attacks. I pray for his wife and kids. I pray that he can stay strong for the whole marathon.

Because I know that great men and women fall all the time. The statistics are dramatically against my pastor (and me, and your pastor) over the long haul. 

These are 2 sets of stats below that are nothing short of SHOCKING.
[My thoughts and comments are in brackets]
-  Pastors who work less than 50 hours a week are 35% more likely to be fired
-  Church peeps expect their pastors to juggle an average of 16 major tasks
-  Pastor has greatest impact in years 5-14, but average only lasts 5 years
-  40% report a serious conflict with a person in their church at least once per month.
[hey church peeps, how bout get off your pastor's back!]
80%of pastors believe that pastoral ministry affects their families negatively
-  75% have had a significant stress-related crisis at least once in their ministry
-  50% feel unable to meet needs of the job
40% of pastors say they’ve considered leaving their pastorates in last 3 months. [whoa! i wonder what % consider it once a week?]
-  33% confess inappropriate sexual behavior with someone in their church [that is crazy]
-  20% say they view porn at least once per month
-  51% say internet porn is possible temptation [I'm just curious here... what do the other 49% say? That it's NOT a temptation!? That's the half I'd be worried about. those pastors gotta sign up for XXXchurch ASAP!] & 37% say it’s a constant struggle
-  13% have been divorced
-  80% say they have insufficient time with their spouse
-  66% pastors & families feel pressure to model the ideal family to their congregations & communities
-  70% don’t have a close friend! [that sucks]
-  90% feel they’re inadequately trained to cope with ministry demands
45% say they’ve experienced depression or burnout to the extent that they needed  to take a leave of absence from ministry.

(I read these stats from Mike Erre who got them from H.B. London, Jr. & Neil B. Wiseman, Pastors at Greater Risk: Real Help for Pastors from Pastors Who’ve Been There)
(The stats below are from Mark Driscoll & are at The Resurgence)
-  1,500 pastors leave ministry each month due to moral failure, spiritual burnout, or contention in their churches
50% of pastors’ marriages will end in divorce [that is unbelievable!!! 50/50 chance you'll get divorced if you're a pastor. scary. that's messed up. but i guess it's 50/50 for every person... pastors are no different.]
-  80% & 84% of their spouses feel unqualified & discouraged in their role
-  50% are so discouraged they would quit if they could but have no other way of getting income
-  80% of seminary & Bible college grads who enter ministry will leave within 1st5 years
70% constantly fight depression
-  almost 40% said they’ve had an affair since beginning their ministry
80% of wives wish their spouse would choose another profession
“The majority of pastor’s wives surveyed said that the most destructive event that has occurred in their marriage and family was the day they entered the ministry.”
[wow! that hurts & is really scary. God, may that never be true in our lives!]

My heart just hurts after reading those! My heart is breaking.

I think there's only 1 thing to say after all that = PRAY for your Pastor!
Pray that God protects him from these attacks on his life and family! Pray that God renews and rejuvenates him so that he can be at the top of his game. Pray for his wife and kids. Pray that God will help you back him and be the kind of support he needs!

I know i need some peeps praying for me. Because i plan on being in this for the rest of my life. I want to be part of a revolution... But i am desperately dependent on God's grace to keep me and my wife from being any of these statistics!!!