That's what Ann Romney mentioned in a recent interview with CBS. My reaction ultimately is "who?"
If the Romney campaign goes and picks a woman as a gimmick, it's pointless. At least for a Republican candidate. (The type of person who is most likely to vote style over substance isn't generally a Republican voter anyway.) It's 2012, friends, and picking someone who happens to have two X chromosomes is not going to be helpful. No, friends, what Mitt needs is what John McCain needed four years ago: An energetic, young conservative.
Now there are some prospects that fit both bills. Governor Nikki Haley of South Carolina is one example. Another is Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann. Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn of Tennesee would be a good choice. How about New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez? All these women would make great running mates for Mitt.
But the thing is none of them are better than a Paul Ryan, or Bobby Jindall, or Rand Paul, or Marco Rubio, or any other young and exciting male conservative. Because ultimately THAT'S what Romney needs: a strong conservative, one who is charasmatic and can excite the conservative base. Not a gimmick, but a conservative.
Despite how liberals re-write history, Sarah Palin wasn't a gimmick. She was a strong conservative. Then the McCain campaign went and dropped the ball with her, not letting her go out and be a strong conservative. Only then once she was misused did she become a gimmick. Ultimately the Romney campaign must be sure not to make the same mistake. Mitt needs a conservative. If he picks that, gender and race could make a difference. If he doesn't, picking a wimpy moderate woman won't win many votes. Barack Obama already will get most of the style over substance votes.
- ► 2013 (118)
- Best of Biblical Conservatism: Explaining the Cons...
- a way of traveling
- Best of Biblical Conservatism: Comparing Obama's D...
- is this still necessary?
- Obama's Numbers Drop...Quick, Cook a Poll!
- After CO Massacre, We Do Not Need More Gun Control...
- doesn't the fact that i want to please you... plea...
- Shock of Shocks! Obama Campaign Deficit Spending!
- Understanding Infrastructure in Government Of, By,...
- Obama Claims He Didn't Say "You Didn't Build That"...
- what a stay-at-home Mom is worth
- Obama Back Pedals as Romney Advances
- Dissecting the Liberal Talking Points: The Wealthy...
- it shouldn't be this way
- Dissecting Obama's Rhetoric: If You Succeed, It's ...
- Obama Camp Slanders Romney, Refuses to Apologize
- how i want to live after i make a mistake
- Dissecting Obama's Talking Points: Taxes (Part 2)
- Dissecting Obama's Talking Points: Taxes (Pt 1)
- you can do this
- WaPo Poll - Obama Losing Independents, Tied With R...
- the most humble man on the face of the earth (part...
- Shock of Shocks - Obama Wants to Raise Taxes
- "... than anyone else on the face of the earth."
- Tax or Fine? Doesn't matter. Obamacare is Bad for ...
- "But I was afraid to be Roger's friend..."
- teams that work (repost)
- Rumor Mill: Romney Could Pick a Female VP?
- Obama's Slight Bump Means Nothing in November
- Obamacare Still Can Be Overturned...At the Ballot ...
- what i learn from reading (almost) all the way to ...
- Obamacare's "Taxes" Are Really Fines
- ▼ July (32)
- ► 2011 (316)
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on September 1, 2009. Last night we kicked off 30 days of fasting at Ridge Church. Begging God...
(This was originally written & posted to renown on June 1, 2010.) I was driving home from my soccer game last night and near my neighbo...
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on June 30, 2010.) These 2 people live in Bulgeta, Ethiopia. i don't know their names. T...
Today was going to be the day I announced a hiatus from blogging to give more time to preparing for my upcoming wedding...then my good frien...
that's a pretty creative & original title for this post, don't you think? it's crazy, but 1,000 times i have written some th...