If I had a nickel for every time somebody told me my Pro-Life stance was invalid because I was a man, I'd be incredibly wealthy. I bet a lot of you are in the same place, yes? However, it's at best a sidestep argument intending to push one's opponent out of the debate. Ultimately it's an issue of requiring an unreasonable level of connection to an issue to even discuss the topic, not to mention a way of validiation of ignoring reasonable objections to maintain one's own position.
Now this isn't the case for all, and frankly most, of the people who use this argument. Actually, the real perpetrators of this argument are those who began to use this defense of abortion. It's not hard to win an argument when you automatically remove half of your opponents from the field, especially when men of the Pro-Abortion ilk are not told their opinion isn't valid. It's an issue of allowing the other side to set the premise of the debate, one we must not allow.
This is so critical, because we must not allow the Pro-Abortion lobby to wipe away the objections of men because of what our objection to abortion is in the first place! Our objection to abortion is that we believe a human being is a human being, whether born or unborn, and that destroying an innocent human being is always murder. Being (hypothetically) the mother of the child vs. the father has absolutely nothing to do with the situation!
Let's imagine we all woke up this morning and opened our favorite online newspaper (or perhaps hard copy newspaper if you're one of the seventeen people who still read the hard copy paper while also still consuming blogs like this one) and read this headline: "Father Smothers 6-year old son with Pillow." Would anyone consider it a valid statement to say to a woman, "You know what? You're not a man so you can't possibly understand why a father would snap like that and kill his child!" Absolutely nobody would accept this argument! Nor should they. It does not require someone to be male or be a father to believe it's reprehensible for a parent to murder their child. Period.
Yet somehow the Pro-Abortion lobby wants us to suspend our own personal outrage at destroying an innocent human being because we don't have a uterus. It's silly. Our issue is protecting a human life. That's the issue. We can have an honest and open debate about it without having to disregard someone's valid opinion because of their gender. It's a false rejection of a position.
Bottom line, if you're going to debate with somebody, don't disregard positions for such frivolity as gender. Especially when the question at hand genuinely ought to be "is that unborn child human," with the logical conclusion being "if the child is human, abortion is wrong, if the child is not human, abortion is fine."
Unfortunately, debate on this premise is not going to help the pro-abortion lobby's position in the least, because the most logical conclusion is, at least for now, fall on the side of caution. It is better to protect something that isn't human than to accidentally destroy something that is human.
- ► 2013 (118)
- think about it
- Romney Running Mate Talk (Part 2)
- thankfulness is a rebellion
- Romney Running Mate Talk (Part 1)
- just curious... what were you thinking?
- Plenty of Liberals Support SE Cupp Against Hustler...
- An Open Letter to Pastor Charles L. Worley
- awesome article about my Mom in today's Charlotte ...
- 4.5 years of renown
- You CAN Judge a Book by it's Cover...(Sometimes)
- "yes He does" (repost)
- Dear Mitt: Don't Try to Be Civil with an Uncivil O...
- why real books are so hard to read
- Media Bias Watch: Turns Out George Zimmerman's Sto...
- reflections after a semester back in school
- Obama Edits Himself Into History to Gain Support
- your words are more powerful than you think
- Obama is losing Independents, Women
- crystal quotes of the day #4 (another pregnancy ed...
- Obama's Being Lauded for Doing Nothing on Gay Marr...
- Obama loses ground with Likely Voters over Registe...
- my Mom's lung transplant story on Fox Charlotte
- Gender is Immaterial in the Abortion Debate
- why we should study culture - part 2 (repost)
- Obama is losing, so the Drive-By Media Cooks Some ...
- why we should study culture (repost)
- Can we stop talking about dogs in the 2012 Campaig...
- Give YOUR MOM a Happy Mother's Day by helping MY M...
- Obama Kicks off Re-Election Campaign 3 yrs into Re...
- Conservatives Need Not be Pessimistic in 2012
- someone is happy with less than you have
- Occupy Bombers is Yet Another Example of Liberal M...
- Newt's Out...Now What?
- Obama: Don’t “spike the football”…unless you need ...
- hunger for what (fasting repost)
- Obama's Losing the Youth
- ▼ May (36)
- ► 2011 (316)
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on September 1, 2009. Last night we kicked off 30 days of fasting at Ridge Church. Begging God...
(This was originally written & posted to renown on June 1, 2010.) I was driving home from my soccer game last night and near my neighbo...
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on June 30, 2010.) These 2 people live in Bulgeta, Ethiopia. i don't know their names. T...
Today was going to be the day I announced a hiatus from blogging to give more time to preparing for my upcoming wedding...then my good frien...
that's a pretty creative & original title for this post, don't you think? it's crazy, but 1,000 times i have written some th...