i just received my grades & comments back for 2 big research papers i wrote last semester. i am really really thankful for busy profs taking the time to write extensive feedback about specifics in my work.
SO, on these 2 big papers specifically the feedback was pretty similar.
the prof basically said the whole thing was awesome. i got a really good grade on both... not perfect but really good.
He wrote tons of specific comments and overall said that it was a "very engaging paper." That's cool, i thought... probably hard to engage a prof when he's reading 50 of these.
i think i actually affected my prof because of other specific comments he wrote.
Then he also wrote the only thing i got points docked for... and i quote:
"The writing style is great for blogging or inspirational writing, but not for graduate papers. Still, the content is excellent."
and again later:
"Good conversational writing, but not suited to seminary essays."
so, my writing style is effective & engaging BUT, not acceptable for grad school.
so, i gotta change the way i write to be more stuffy and hard to read. i need to not let the language naturally flow, but weigh it down in a more academic style.
i get it. that's what you want me to do. it's your school. your system, you make the rules.
but do you see why "real" books (and by "real" i mean books with a point) are so difficult to read?
because those authors probly went to graduate school somewhere & their professors made them change their writing style.
they had to write in a style that regular, average joe people don't readily and easily understand. they had to write in a style that only peeps within academia appreciate.
so, when you pick up a real book to read, the author probly writes fancy... smart... techinical... but not in a way that most humans would prefer to read.
so we either labor through those books...
we figure it's not worth it & just don't read it.
not that any of my profs or anyone running grad schools cares or that any of this is going to change.
unless someone wants me to be a president of a graduate school. :)
*but see, i want this stuff i'm working on to finish my master's degree & pouring mammoth amounts of hours into to be usable, profitable, beneficial to me.
to actually count for something.
and i don't mean a grade.
i don't want to have to fake fancy up a paper, just to have to go back later and translate it for myself!
maybe i'll just keep taking the deduction in points for my writing style.
- ► 2013 (118)
- think about it
- Romney Running Mate Talk (Part 2)
- thankfulness is a rebellion
- Romney Running Mate Talk (Part 1)
- just curious... what were you thinking?
- Plenty of Liberals Support SE Cupp Against Hustler...
- An Open Letter to Pastor Charles L. Worley
- awesome article about my Mom in today's Charlotte ...
- 4.5 years of renown
- You CAN Judge a Book by it's Cover...(Sometimes)
- "yes He does" (repost)
- Dear Mitt: Don't Try to Be Civil with an Uncivil O...
- why real books are so hard to read
- Media Bias Watch: Turns Out George Zimmerman's Sto...
- reflections after a semester back in school
- Obama Edits Himself Into History to Gain Support
- your words are more powerful than you think
- Obama is losing Independents, Women
- crystal quotes of the day #4 (another pregnancy ed...
- Obama's Being Lauded for Doing Nothing on Gay Marr...
- Obama loses ground with Likely Voters over Registe...
- my Mom's lung transplant story on Fox Charlotte
- Gender is Immaterial in the Abortion Debate
- why we should study culture - part 2 (repost)
- Obama is losing, so the Drive-By Media Cooks Some ...
- why we should study culture (repost)
- Can we stop talking about dogs in the 2012 Campaig...
- Give YOUR MOM a Happy Mother's Day by helping MY M...
- Obama Kicks off Re-Election Campaign 3 yrs into Re...
- Conservatives Need Not be Pessimistic in 2012
- someone is happy with less than you have
- Occupy Bombers is Yet Another Example of Liberal M...
- Newt's Out...Now What?
- Obama: Don’t “spike the football”…unless you need ...
- hunger for what (fasting repost)
- Obama's Losing the Youth
- ▼ May (36)
- ► 2011 (316)
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on September 1, 2009. Last night we kicked off 30 days of fasting at Ridge Church. Begging God...
(This was originally written & posted to renown on June 1, 2010.) I was driving home from my soccer game last night and near my neighbo...
(i originally wrote and posted this to renown on June 30, 2010.) These 2 people live in Bulgeta, Ethiopia. i don't know their names. T...
Today was going to be the day I announced a hiatus from blogging to give more time to preparing for my upcoming wedding...then my good frien...
that's a pretty creative & original title for this post, don't you think? it's crazy, but 1,000 times i have written some th...